Thursday, October 22, 2009

Giving back....

This week is the Challenged Athletes Foundation San Diego Triathlon Challenge, one of their biggest fundraisers annually.

The mission of the Challenged Athletes Foundation to provide opportunities and support to people with physical disabilities so they can pursue active lifestyles through physical fitness and competitive athletics. The Challenged Athletes Foundation believes that involvement in sports at any level increases self-esteem, encourages independence and enhances quality of life. The event is non competitive 70.3 Triathlon to raise money, over the past 15 years this event has helped raise over $21 million to support more than 4000 challenged athletes.

The foundation is based in San Diego and near and dear to the San Diego Tri Club. I wanted to help and was assigned a great task of transporting a family who is attending from N Carolina. I picked up Hailey and her mom and grandmother. Hailey is a below the knee amputee, at the age of 4 she lost her leg in a lawnmower accident. Thanks to CAF she has received a running foot and is able to run with her friends at school and participate in the Jr Paralympics.

The weekend is a fun filled event for CAF recipients. This was Hailey's first time on an airplane, 1st time out of the state of NC and she was elated. Driving to the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club she was excitedly pointing out the cruise ships, military ships, all the palm trees and was thrilled to see the Sea World Tower. She was bouncing up and down in the car asking what a hotel is like? Is it like Grandma's trailer or better? Will there be a pool? It was so fun to share her excitement and see what our fine city has to offer visually through her eyes. The family was so gracious and appreciative of my help and I will look forward to driving them back on Monday after their weekend of picnics, a nice banquet and more.

Sunday, Riley and I will be helping out at the Expo near the La Jolla Cove. Sometimes seeing what others are dealing with can put a lot of perspective into what we see has frustrations and hardships.

The start of my day was a post Birthday breakfast at the Original Pancake House in Carmel Mtn Ranch. I was there maybe 10 years ago and my friend recommended it as her favorite spot, so surely wanted to go back. While I had pancakes on my mind I could not pass on the egg white omelet that was by far the biggest and fluffiest creation I have ever set my eyes on. It was amazing....and food rarely amazes me. It was so light, fluffy, filled with vegies and green chili's that I could hardly roll myself to the car. Thanks Sue. What a treat.

Other than that a great day of non structured training..went to masters at 6:30am only to realize that particular masters is only mon/wed/fri so I went to Froggs and swam on my own but only until I was bored. Then ran for 30 on the treadmill watching CNN and then did some strength training. No pressure....it's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment