Sunday, April 13, 2014

You get what you pay for.....


I know people who continually rant and complain about Ironman and how expensive the races are ($227-$350 for 70.3 and $650 for Ironman). I am so tired of the complaining....#1 it is a CHOICE ( no one is making you participate in this sport) #2 there are alternatives (but note my blog title "you get what you pay for")  So take HITS which is a new(er) company offering Triathlons  ($100 for 70.3 and $300 for Ironman distance - with early registration)  So definitely less $ ...

BUT...theme of this blog-  you get what you pay for!    I have had friends race HITS and have heard rumblings about gravel roads, course not marked, open roads, running out of nutrition etc.

I had an athlete  I coach and friend race Napa HITS 1/2 Ironman this weekend and learned first hand how unorganized the race is..the biggest factor was the bike course.... website stating 1600 feet of elevation but at the athletes meeting it was disclosed 3500 feet.  That is a fundamentally different race.  The run was described as flat but had over 800 feet of climbing.  ..... this along with many other logistical issues is why I am willing to pay the $ for a known entity.  I like the bigger races, I like 80+ competitors in my age group vs 80 in an entire race (but that is my preference)   I want to know the course, know it is safe, have enough nutrition on the course...  It is a choice and we all can choose!  I choose to pay for quality and competition.  You can choose not to....

There are definitely non WTC (Ironman) races that do a great job... SOMA for one and I have heard fantastic things about REV3.  



No comments:

Post a Comment