Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fun in the kitchen

With a celiac husband most of my baking is all gluten free so we can "share" the goods!  While I am not generally a quick bread fan but this recipe caught my attention. And is is GOOD!

I made this last night and had a giant slice nibble before bed. I put it in a Pyrex still warm and was excited to have for breakfast.  Moist and almost warm I slathered with Cashew Butter. This was my pre reallly fricking hard  run breakfast, along with a jumbo mug of coffee with almond milk. At the 1 hour mark of my run I dropped off the dogs, drank 15 oz of water + Nuun and grabbed another chunk of bread.  turns out this was ideal run fuel!!!  

SWEET POTATO BREAD [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour  - trader joes GF flour is the least expensive and works great 
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon ginger - used fresh grated 
1 cup sweet potato puree - I used a baked sweet potato
1.5 tbsp flax meal
1/4 cup warm water
¼ cup dairy free milk  - almond 
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup coconut sugar
PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease and flour loaf pan.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine.
Combine the wet ingredients in a small bowl and mix well together.
Slowly stir wet into dry and pour into prepared loaf pan.
Bake 40-50 minutes. Done when knife comes out clean.
Serve as is or top with your favorites. I chose a dark Agave syrup. Yum!
CALORIES: 157

My other experiments have been in the vegan cheese department... Am I vegan ? No, but I am leaning more that way especially at home.  I buy organic chicken for the dogs (another blog post on "picky Vizsla's"  but no animals for John and me.  

My first try was Vegan Parmesan Cheese and I LOVE IT!!
So easy- put all ingredients in food processor and pulse. I put in salads, on veggies etc. Good stuff!  

I was looking for a cheesy sauce and came across this. 

Vegan Cauliflower Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
2 heads cauliflower, cut into small florets
3 small shallots, cut into wedges
6 garlic cloves 
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste 
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Place cauliflower, shallots, garlic, and coconut oil onto baking pan and toss with salt and pepper.  Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until florets are fork tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour mixture and remaining ingredients into a Vitamix and blend on soup mode
It was a little bland and runny so I added cornstarch 1t and smoked paprika ( my NEW favorite spice)  I also added some turmeric so it looks really cheesy.  
This was actually better the 2nd day and 3rd.... I put on veggies and its quite savory. 
As my friend Leslie says... be mindful not vigilant.  So today when I had lunch with my brother at Fish 101- I had the grilled fish bowl.  But tonight for dinner...
steamed spinach + baby kale, sauteed in shallots and garlic topped with creamy "cheese" sauce.  And another gigantic slice of bread.   While I claim this bread is to share..I have a feeling after my ride + hill repeats tomorrow it may be gone as in single serving to me!  




No comments:

Post a Comment