Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Workout anxiety

It can happen to anyone....it happened to me this week!  As I continue to work on my run,  I have some really specific run workouts that are fucking scary  a bit daunting.    I review my week on Sunday so I can plan, prep, and schedule around workouts and try not to freak out .

Last week my mid week run was: 8Miles:   2m warm up, then 6x50m drills, then 4x50m strides at around goal pace for the interval set. 4x1 mile at 10k pace - . 1 minute active rest - walk, jog, shuffle, etc. Even split every 400, every 800, etc. 1.5m cool down.  It was the first time doing this and it was hard, # 3 was hard and # 4 was a death march but I nailed all 4!  Go me!  

So imagine my fear and dread  excitementwhen this week I see my mid week run: 9.5 miles 2m warm up, then 6x50m drills, then 4x50m strides at around goal pace for the interval set. 5x1 mile at 10k pace -  1 minute active rest - walk, jog, shuffle, etc. Even split every 400, every 800, etc. 1.5m cool down. HOLY SHIT was my thought.  I barely survived 4, I had a solid training weekend, it is on Wednesday this week ( 1 day earlier), my legs are STILL sore from Sunday.  HOW will this happen.  

tried to focus on racing
and how the training will
pay off
I emailed coach last night... " fyi I am freaking out about this run tomorrow"   His reply " Well. Look at the workout as an opportunity to challenge yourself and just enjoy the process, not the result. Always focus on the process. "  Not sure what to think about that... no where is enjoy in this workout.  

I woke up twice last night worried about the run....really Julie- it is a workout!  

So- I  fueled well with my overnight oats, monster coffee with almond milk. Walked the dogs (this was not a dog friendly workout)  and headed out the door

Focus on the positive

1- it is sunny and nice out - blessed to be in a beautiful climate where I am running in shorts and have to remember to put on sunscreen.  54 degrees felt chilly but I dare not complain
2- by mile 2 I am running along the ocean- I am blessed!
3- it's only 5 fuck 5 miles is a lot of pain and torture
4- take them 1 mile at time
5- really good playlist was helpful - ACDC is GOOD 
6- focus on objects ahead and run to them - pretend they are people I am running down in a race
7- after 3rd repeat eat BonkBreaker chews with caffeine and pray they have magical powers to stay on pace
8: 1-4 were at target pace or lower- 2 of them were 5 sec per mile faster than goal.  :) 
Please have magic powers
to make me run faster
9: #5 started great and then at the .5 mile mark I am dying and the tiny hill for .25 of a mile may as well have been Mt Palomar- my cadence tanked, my HR jacked and I thought I might die, than I had .25 and was hoofing it max effort to make up the lost time.  Focused on cadence, form, pulling back my feet.  Hit the lap button in I was 8sec slow on that mile.  
10: initial reacting is  YOU SUCK  but that was a bit dramatic so I thought "I could have gone harder" ..than I decided to be happy that I nailed 4 of them and was close on #5  

Running home I was back in positive.... I am blessed to live in Encinitas, blessed to have a flexible work schedule, blessed to have such a supportive husband and arrived home blessed to have Roo chew up EVERYTHING in the recycling bin and scatter around the house.  Her response to being left behind and creative cool down involving bending down and picking up stuff. 

Next week...you guessed 6 repeats.   Rock on! 


No comments:

Post a Comment