Sunday, October 20, 2024

Embracing the Offseason: A Time to Reflect and Recharge


What does the offseason really look like? It’s a mix of having some structure while enjoying a little freedom. It’s about sleeping in when the mood strikes but not every single day. It’s savoring that extra glass of wine without guilt, and letting go of the little things—like skipping a supplement for a week because let’s face it, sometimes they feel like a chore. It’s indulging in chips and guacamole for dinner without worrying about your protein intake or driving to the pool in your swimsuit only to decide on a spontaneous coffee shop visit instead. It’s even enjoying Trader Joe's vegan maple cookies for breakfast!This phase is all about letting go—not for months, but for a few weeks to a month. After ten months of structure, commitment, and 96% compliance to workouts, along with vigilant eating and minimal drinking, it's time to embrace a more relaxed mindset. I’m not one to completely shut down, but I do need this time to decompress. It’s how I can go all in for those ten months of hard work.Looking at my calendar, I realize it’s almost been a month since the IMWC in Nice. While I will tighten up my structure moving forward, I’ll do so with flexibility. I’m still not running much, thanks to the hazards of Pickleball, but biking and swimming are going well. Right now, it’s crucial to prioritize strength training. I’ll admit, I’m feeling weak in the gym—like the 30-pound squat bar will feel like a mountain this week, and lunges with 20 pounds are quite the challenge. I know I’ll start with lighter weights and embrace the soreness that comes with it, even if it makes simple tasks like going to the bathroom a bit of a struggle. But that’s how I roll, and I’ll be lifting heavier weights before I know it.Strength training is my top priority, but I’m also focused on maintaining fitness and having fun. Right now, that means seeking out gravel biking adventures. As a coach, I often encourage a "DFTFYW" (Do What The F**k You Want) approach for the first week of the offseason. After that, we transition into a semi-structured few weeks where I can observe what athletes are leaning towards and what feels right for them. This is when I start to see patterns in their training preferences.We also have an important conversation about how the offseason serves as a pre-season. What gains do we want to make now for a successful 2025? For many athletes, it’s about getting back into the gym and rebuilding that foundational strength. From there, we can lay out secondary goals while still allowing for individual priorities.I recommend keeping 1-2 swims, bikes, or runs each week to maintain a base fitness level, but the focus should be on the most important goals for the next eight weeks. Often, one workout a day is sufficient during this time. It’s also the perfect moment to target weaknesses when you’re ready and motivated.The offseason is not just a break; it’s an opportunity to recalibrate, rejuvenate, and prepare for the exciting

No comments:

Post a Comment