Tuesday, June 2, 2020

#Everesting #Hells500 #nailed it

Saturday was the big day, and I was nervous, a lot nervous, but excited in many ways.  So many thoughts going into the day.  This is about the emotions, I will write another about the details, the calories, the "race" report. 

1- This is a big ass goal.  I once climbed 15K on the bike doing the Death Ride, 8 years ago, when I was much younger. My prep for this was 3x 11K rides this year, the first - Jan/March and Apri. Not a lot. 29,029 is an overwhelming number. And if one more finisher said, "that was the hardest thing I've done," I may have screamed.  

2- "Race week" was not an ideal build-up.  My schedule was light (training wise), a taper of sorts.  Which I followed.  My poor mom, however, needed surgery, and that was Wed/Thur/Friday of many hours helping with Dr's, pre/post, etc.  So my usually "focus" on the race was shifted to focus on the most important woman in my life.  Friday 4 pm is was time to prep.


3- My team of athletes each set goals big goals, and 6 of them would be on the same hill.  "Racing" alongside my athletes gives me energy, strength and is my why.  Another in FL chasing a big goal and another pursuing a run goal.  I was excited for them to climb further, dig deeper, and feel that satisfaction of reaching a goal.

4 - This was a toe in the water for Ultraman.

The day was epic,  I watched each of my athlete tick of their goals with smiles on their faces,  I could see the camaraderie, encouragement, and triathlon community come together.

The first 14,500 feet was doable, was so thankful to have company for most of the climbs,  I had 40 repeats to do.   I rode with my athletes, then BadAss Betty Kristin Mayer and Matt for 10 repeats, my BBF, Leslie for the next 4, and then a few solos.    I was dismayed to see Smashfest Queen Hillary Biscay out cheering on at 5:15 am, pure love, and appreciation for that. Becky and Erin came for a lap, so good to see them. Badass Jess Cerra poped in, and Hillary and family came back with signs.  

I did a few solo,s and it was getting hard.  I made the decision to stop looking at laps, watts, elevation, and take the climbs 3 at a time, 18ish min up, 5 min down.   Fastest lap 21 min and slowest 28.  The slowing was really due to defending late - I was tired and wobbly.

I had 2 friends join me for the final 10K.  Lilias for 5 laps and then Finley for the rest. We chatted, and I tried to stay in the moment, not think how many more or how much have I done.  I was uncomfortable, I hurt, I was hot, then cold, a blister on my hand, hot spots on my feet.  

I was floored to see not only Leslie, but my athletes had returned for the final 3 hours, they were a band of energy.  It was a pit stop; they filled bottles, offered forced me food, and insisted I eat. Vegan carrot cake made by Les,  french fries and ketchup,  pizza,  coke, Dr. Pepper, and some I don't remember.

They cheered me on every lap!  I would have cried, but that took too much energy.

The last few laps it was not about my legs, but about my body, I was dizzy, foggy, and hurting.  I had one goal, fucking finish.  I descended behind Finely so he could point out the same rock and pinecone, I just did not want to fall.

I had the finish line feels... nearly falling over, my catchers and the people who mean so much to me!   I love you guys and am so grateful for your friendship and loyalty, thank you for giving up your evening!  

I'm still on a high. I knocked through a new door, actually kicked that m'fer down.  My flame is burning strong, and I am already working on the next "challenge". 











No comments:

Post a Comment