Sunday, October 3, 2010

Taper time.....

So I am diligent about completing all workouts as written and if anything..more than less. If it says 60 minute run and I heading down my street at 57, I will run around the park to make sure I get to 60 minutes.  Same on the bike and swim..... Whatever just who I am.

But come taper time...it's funny, and only when I am a week out, I take liberty in skipping some workouts, doing less etc.  So today... Open Water swim on the schedule which is a great idea since I have not been in the Ocean since Santa Barbara and that was for 1000M and before that is was like June.  1 hour OW swim was perfect....except I had a terrible night sleep, it was really foggy and cold and I decided to have coffee and take the dog for a walk with my husband.  Yeah, that will help me on that 2.4M swim in uh 6 days.  And  it was not even like I could do it later...I had a soccer game and a million errands to do before I leave.  Run- yes did that and extended it a bit.  Since it was cold and well it's hot in Kona I had on tights, 2 shirts and a fleece vest. Overkill...maybe.  It was 68, not 50 degrees.  I run up along a friend in the Canyon sweating like someone going through heroin withdrawal and she just looked at me. I calmy explained what I was doing and she says..."yeah I thought you were  a bit overdressed."  I am sure as I ran away, she is thinking "nutcase"  Oh well it worked for me.

Had a ride on the schedule and that I was sure I would do later...but well it is 7:30 and dark and really it's not going to happen.  But I did hang out Riley, had a hilarious shopping trip to Costco- serious giggles and fun.  And a great dinner and post dinner with JD and Riley with random jokes, laughing and serious good family time.  Oh did I mention I took a nap at 5- yeah all this training it wearing me out.  Nice to have that solid family connection before I take off for a week. 

I am 99% packed!  Yeah baby....well done.  Few things to do tomorrow but all in all in good shape!  Trying to reduce the stress.  Driving to UCSD for my BIG 45 min swim tomorrow only so I can do my really long (not) ride with Jen so we can hang out.  Heck without the hours of riding we are so behind. The 1 hour spin last week was just not sufficient....

Hard to read all the FB posts from (what seems like) everyone already in Kona!  But well.... I would not have traded the fun today with my kids to have been on a stunningly beautiful tropical island.. really would not.  Okay maybe I thought about it....

No comments:

Post a Comment