Thursday, December 3, 2009

San Juan

Arrived in the pitch dark after a long day of travel. Did not fall asleep until after 3am...ugh, but thanks to black out drapes I slept until 10am- holy cow! Although that was really 6am CA time- so maybe not such a luxury. Opened my drapes and it was sensational....

Stunning...I was dying to go jump in the ocean but had to meet my client for a meeting. We did some work and then had an hour before our next appointment. Off came my work clothes and on went the running gear- perfect Kona training- hot and humid run! And then I jumped in to ocean- ahhhh. When we met up again I felt great- run, swim, shower and Red Bull. More tours and all in all it was an enjoyable day.

We had a wonderful dinner and I discovered the Egg Nog of Puerto Rico- hummmm

Coquito - Puerto Rican egg nog- rum, coconut milk, ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. It was so good- When offered a wonderful display of desserts I declined and indulged in another Coquito- 1- I'm not driving, 2- it't the holidays. Delicious.


San Juan is an interesting place... We are staying at the Gran Melia and it is beautiful- large villa style rooms and wonderful setting. Once you are here it is spectacular but the roads and town I have seen so far has a lot to be desired. We say the Wyndham Rio Mar which has another stunning setting- Rainforest on one side and beach on the other. The white sand and blue water is so lovely. Rio Mar is much bigger, more of a convention hotel feel but the food was delicious- wonderful roasted Grouper and baked root vegetables that were to die for. Lots of mango, papaya and pineapple with the food. Puerto Rican Chardonnay is not the top of the charts...but with Coquito who cares :)

Trying hard to get on the time schedule. 4 hour time change is a lot. The evenings are perfect for me but the mornings are tough...no reading tonight. I am totally immersed in a great book The Help by Katherine Stockett. Great book about " Southern whites' guilt for not expressing gratitude to the black maids who raised them threatens to become a familiar refrain.A page-turner that brings new resonance to the moral issues involved, a story of social awakening as seen from both sides of the American racial divide."

Maybe I will take a bath on my patio tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment