Sunday, June 2, 2019

Ironman Hawaii 70.3 2019

 I have avoided this race at all cost never raced here before because I detest the heat and historically fall apart it has never worked into my schedule time-wise.  

This year it was purposeful, planned and one of my key races.  So an A race!  I finished yesterday with my slowest 70.3 time , slower than my first race and my lowest placement.  But I finished, which for me was not about the medal or hat or another black itchy shirt, it was about a place that continues to humble me, strip me down and I refused to let Madam Pele win yesterday.


The swim, slow, but slow for most - It is hands down the most beautiful swim I have ever done. My heart loves DigMeBeach in Kona but Hapuna Bay is truly an aquarium.   AG waves but with 4 at a time rolling start within the wave, so closer to real racing.   I was wave 19!  Ye 50 minutes after the first men's wave, so lots of time on the beach waiting and watch, but I was surrounded by friends and competitors and it was just plain fun!     I loved every minute of the swim, sighting was a bit challenging but not too congested.  Swim 31:53

Bike,  I know this course and was beyond thrilled to be starting it midway.  And the new bike, the Cervelo P5 is a slice of heaven.  It's comfortable, fun and feels really fast.  Than you Skip and Nytro Multisport. I opted for 808's, which I have not ridden in a while and the crosswinds in Havi reminded me how they can be a bit squirley.  The winds were mild for Kona.  Headwind up to Havi, with the last 4 miles pretty strong, but that descent yeah baby!!!  20 min for the last 4 miles up and the 10 min down. And to make that turn into Waimea vs the 24 miles back to Kona was just bittersweet!   So so fun!    Bike: 2:40:59

It was hot, Garmin was reading 91 out on the Queen K, and humid, but I expected nothing less.   I drank 5x 24 oz bottles 3x Gatorade Endurance  + 2x water.   16oz = 1lb, so I took in 23 lbs ( per se of fluid)  4000 mg of sodium.   I felt great on the bike the only red flag was I did not have to pee.   

Off the bike and I was immediately dizzy, not a good sign but got through T2 and onto the run.   I had a, very hot,  180z bottle with 1000 mg of sodium that I was started drinking and got in mile 1-3.  The first few miles generally come easy in a 70.3 I was struggling, I knew it was going to be tough, but that is okay,  Mile 4, IT, started, black spots, dizziness and that feeling of I just may pass out,  I know now that means my core temp is geeting high and there is one way to get it down, slow down and drink more.  I spend a solid minute at the next aid station with ice, sponges, drinking and getting in what could and ran to the next aid station thinking I would have to manage the run that way.  Then nausea set in and I was worried if I drank more it would come back up.  Mile 5 I had to lay down, in the grass - stop the spinning and feel " better".  Not sure how long it was but then I was up again and it was walking/ run/ triage at every aid station.  Approaching the run turn around was the hardest part of the day,  I wanted to walk into medical, fall on a gurney and get ice, maybe an IV.  But I just could not let this Island win, so it was game on and it was not pretty.   I would  "run"  a minimum of 100 steps with the goal of 200, and then walk 50, which sometimes was 100.   I took one more mini nap and just clicked off the miles.  I quit triathlon 10x, took up knitting, started to curse Madam Pele but stopped and thanked her for this opportunity to test my self.  I can race well in cool temps can get the results I want, but this, place, this heat, is my test!  I am not willing to give up yet.   Run 2:35:24- at least it was not slower than my bike split - LOL.

So yes I went to KSI for testing, yes I learned some info but I do not have the report from them yet,  His goal was last week but likely 2 weeks from when I was there.    

Watching my AG on the podium is fuel to figure this out, watching people claim their Kona slots still brings tears to my eyes.  I love this sport and all the blood, sweat and tears that goes into it! 

So there you have it, we ALL have bad days out there!  


2 comments:

  1. Even written in your super un-dramatic style, I can hear how absolutely shitty that run was. To seriously consider knitting... wow, that was a dark place!!! But hey, even if you never do a hot race again, there are a million places for you to showcase and test your obviously unusual talent. Best of luck and thanks for sharing your journey. It's brutal - and inspiring! to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get this figured out by October Kona. Maybe you need an ice pack vest?

    ReplyDelete