Tuesday, February 5, 2019

When the off season is moving to THE season

Image result for its the new year now what
I started this blog Jan 2 and now it is Feb 5, fkc!  I have tried to finish is so many times... every time I need to edit it a bit due to lag time.... but I am putting it out there now. 

I wrote this article for D3 Multisport-   https://tinyurl.com/y9s3v3pu 

 " The Off Season is Ending, Now What?"   You can read the article above for more insight but it has generated some questions and thoughts from others.

The bottom line is that its almost February and regardless of whether it is -30 or 88 degrees it's time to get focused!   Sure there are the exceptions but most are looking forward and 2019 is upon us. 

If you have not laid out your season's goals, its time.  I have all my athletes do it and we review them.  At the minimum identify your A races and goals for each-  whether those be time goals, nutrition or mental goals, lay them out.  I encourage a stretch goal (go big), a reasonable goal and what if everything happens plan.   So call it A and B goals, I don't do C goals, but I do think about how to handle "THAT' race, you lose your goggles, your chain is off and you have a flat, you drop your nutrition, you forgot socks and you hit 11 porta potties- what will you do?  Quit or roll with it.  The big goals are good to have- I have mine printed out and on my trainer and in my bathroom- a daily reminder of what I really want!  

You are "fat"  I put this in italics as I am sure you are NOT fat, you may feel that way due to some extra holiday lbs.   Well, get on the scale, assess the damage and then figure out what needs to change.  Likely you gained it in 4-6 weeks, so take the same approach to lose it.  The best way is to log your food and drink!  My Fitness Pal.   OR maybe you need to gain muscle?   What are you eating and when?  

What is your weakness and what are you going to do about it?  If you complain about your swim every year, but you continue to swim 2x a week on your own and say you are a terrible swimmer then guess what you will have the same swim.  Is it the bike or run or strength- what is YOUR plan, that is different, from last year to get better?

Asses what worked last year and what did NOT.  Don't keep doing the same thing and expect a change in performance. 

How about life goals?  Do you need more sleep? if yes, how will you get it? 

Alcohol-  people can argue all day on whether it is good or bad.  Honestly, it does not really matter - what matters are your goals?    I can argue that it does not help you lose weight nor does it help performance.   Only you know if you need to or if you should cut back.  I do encourage everyone to quit for 3 weeks- give it a go.  "test the brakes" per se.

I don't encourage you to QUIT everything- it's just not sustainable.  More along the lines of this below- when we do extremes it generally works for a few weeks and then you don't just fall off the wagon you are eating 3 boxes of thin mints at midnight with a bottle of vodka.  



NO
YES
Cut all sugar
Cut processes sugar- candy, sweets
NO processed foods
Limit what you eat out of a package when possible
NO alcohol
No alcohol for 21 days but if you  have a beer don’t flip out
I’m getting up every day at 5am when you have been up at 7am
3 days a week I will get a workout done before work
Lose 20 lbs
Lose 5 lbs – 1.25/week
Train 20 hours a week (when you have been training 5)
Increase by 10-20% /week

Be smart, get on track and get after it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment