Wednesday, March 8, 2017

2017 is off and running!

4 of the Nytro Team 2017
#badassisbeautiful
Raced Desert Triathlon yesterday for the first time!  Shocking I know, right? Its funny when I told people it was my first time racing it, a few argued, no you were here  X year or I remember racing with you.  Too funny..... 1-  either I have been injured early season or 2 - 3 + years ago I probably did not go due to the kids.  Too hard to leave them without my husband leaving me etc. and with Superseal 2 weeks later there was another Oly race to kick off the season.

This year, with no kids at home any more AND more importantly being healthy it was a girls road trip weekend!  Liz, Les and I headed out on Saturday afternoon. We literally rolled in the park for registration at 3:50 just time to get our packets and experience the amazing expo (not) which was Swim West tent ( who I love by the way, but hello?  no expo)   I did want some ez laces but there were 9 people in line so did not wait.  I guess you are the only game in town, it pays off for sure!

We had a room at La Quinta Homewood Suites- about as close as you can stay and it was just fine. A nice suite with 2 rooms and we got to working doing all that pre - race fun, pasting stickers on and sorting gear, finding pins, all the while Les and I completely shit talking each other. "here let me pump your tires to 220 psi"  " here try this - really raw sauerkraut is great pre- race" and it went on and on.  We ate in because we are tri ners  with our varied thrilling pre race food.

I tried a "new" dinner of roasted red potatoes, grilled chicken and salsa with a mashed avocado.  Lots of salt and plenty of Nuun, The Right Stuff and any other non alcoholic fluid- the dessrt is DRY!.

I love the support of my husband but it is fun to have 3 girls yakking away and getting ready for the race. And 3 like minded girls who had the lights out at 7:30 and an alarm set for 4am.  We all wake up early and are luckily all friendly and chatty in the am.... Coffee- check for Les and I and another new meal.  Unsweetened applesauce, protein powder and a banana.  Yummm said no one really.  Its like bland baby food.  

aero helmet are so flattering, said no one ever 
They changed this race to a legit Oly race which is ideal for me as that means longer swim.... 1500M swim, 24M bike and 10k run.    Swim was great- I felt great and went hard, hard enough to be sore on Monday. T1 was a complete shit show.  Did I practice transitions NO...did I bother to check my shoes that have not been worn since October and washed NO,  did I think about how to lay out my gear NO.  I hit the racks and am stumbling about trying to get my wetsuit off, helmet on (backward) thankfully I figured that out or I would have been riding out of T1 with me aero helmet point side in front, glasses on (after the helmet) means me jamming them on dropping the f bomb.  And then the shoes, velcro stuck and as I jam my foot in I realize the insole is bunched up.  I am now hopping on one foot and forcing the square peg into a round hole while running with my bike.  Hello - yes after 10 years you need to still practice transitions after not racing in 4 months.  Finally on the bike... Hello-  I tell all my athletes to run through your gear, practice but well do as I say -

I am flying as in 35mph.  The light bulb should have gone off as my power was nothing stellar and
well it did once I turned the corner, hello head wind.   My legs were not responding, power was low by 10 watts and I was working with what I had- flat and tired legs.  I tried to not stress and just ride- 2 loops and more wind and off the bike.

and the 50+ women are 2nd and 3rd overall (LOL) I
guess the young fast chicks stayed home this year
The run is flat yes but on gravel, camber, uneven grass with a scenic loop through and RV park.  At this point I am on the lookout for Les, my main competition and I become the hunted.   I started out what felt like a steady pace and looked down to see 7:20 which is fast for me and well I decided then to just go for it.  Race hard and see what happens. I was ticking off the miles and holding my pace around 7:30, I repeat which is fast for me.  By mile 4 I knew I could hold it, although let me mention I was in the hurt locker, you know that wheezing person that runs by you and think about calling 911. I managed to get down 2 x Huma gels which I think was key- after last weeks lessons of 0 calories, I know I need them.   That combined with Glukos  (which is not too sweet) on the bike and the baby food breakfast- I'd say it was a nutrition success.

Fun race!  Happy okay elated to FINALLY lay down a decent run, it has been 4 years.   I raced hard- Monday and Tuesday I could feel it- yes indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment