Thursday, April 16, 2015

And the MRI says...

Micro tears in the Periosteum :  periosteum, a thin sheath that covers all bones whose function is to be provide nourishment to the bones. This sheath is rich in nerve endings, so it feels pain. When the periosteum is over-strained and irritated, it gets inflamed causing pain. In the case of shin splints, it is the sheath covering the tibia.  In my case the sheath has tears and lumps of inflammation.  

Really is sounds like shin splints but I guess the tears and lumps are the bigger problem and why it it taking so long.... 6 weeks today of NO running. It is getting better, 60-70% better according the the Dr via the MRI, she can see the healing. 

So with another 3-4 weeks my season will have to adjusted and I may kill someone  of not running I should be, (note should be) running again.  Or with PRP, I may be running in a week to 10 days.  So guess what I am doing today?  PRP. 

What is PRP:  Patellae Rich Plasma. PRP is the injection of the patients own platelets, in high concentration into an injured tendon, ligament or Muscle tear. The Platelets contain growth factors which help stimulate natural healing.First a small amount of blood is taken and placed in our office centrifuge. The centrifuge separates and concentrates the platelets. Dr  will then use the ultrasound to visualize the damaged tissue. The area is injected with a numbing agent, followed by the injection of PRP all done under direct MSK ultrasound guidance.

The idea is to "encourage" the shin to heal faster. It cannot hurt it.  Most likely it will increase the inflammation and pain for a few days and then as it clears out the idea is that it heals faster.  


At least I know what the injury is.I am still dumbfounded at how painful this is.  I've deal with and and run on shin splints for months in my former runners life. Yes they are painful but this is extreme- which I guess is good as it probably saved me from a stress fracture.

If you ever get PRP know it is not a picnic... with terms like "peppering the bone" and 17 shots you can expect it to be mildly uncomfortable.  But it it done and I left the office achy and sore.  But by last night it was feeling better and this AM is agitated but not painful.   She warned me the pain could go from a 3 to a 10 after the PRP for a few days, so I am quite thankful it did not.  Rest today,  no swimming 48 hours due to the 17+ deep holes in my leg (infection is the last thing I need) and if all is okay I can be spinning by the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment