Sunday, March 2, 2014

Training, ....surprises and being open minded

drowned rat riding in the rain 
Finishing up my 3rd week with Coach Chris and WOW is really all I can say.  Each week is different than the last, I don't know when my schedule is being updated (early on he said some athletes he gives workouts the day of - I would DIE)  But there is something about not stressing for the following week.  I glace at the workout but not the details until the day or 2 before.  Last weekend after a killer bike on Saturday and a tough run off the bike I saw a 1:20 run on Saturday and asked Coach why 1:20.....he replies did you see Tuesday.  Oh... right there I see 1:40.  Meanwhile I see Monday ride 2:30- which I assume is a recovery ride... with 3 intervals in the ride.  I nearly texted him to say WTF  really, you think I can do this. But decided to try it first...and well I hit the power targets. I was darn impressed with myself.  (ok and him too)  

This weekend started with Thursday  - more interval hell  more challenging intervals. 1- they need to be done on the flats and 2- outside.  It was predicted to rain..Thank to to Rachel for meeting me at Fiesta in the rain and suffering through the 1st one - she left which I don't blame her for at all!  I appreciate her suffering through 1.  I made the 2nd one but by # 3 it was raining sideways, gusting wind and well I wimped out.  I did 1/2 of #3 and then manged to run in the rain with iced feet.  Yes I run after every bike ride..and those who know me know this is NEW- I have been known to do 1 or 2 T runs in a season.  I believe in them, have my athletes do them but used to hate them- but now they are actually okay.  Suddenly 30-45 min run is not so bad after seeing 90 minutes a few times.  It's all perspective.  

I am focused, replaced Electrolytes for Chardonnay (although I am celebrating with one glass tonight - day off tomorrow)  I used to HATE days off and now I am excited for 24 hours of recovery. ice bath, compression, compex, ART, laser... you name it I am doing it.

My foot is about the same but in crazy triathlon talk that means it still hurts, is manageable, and I am increasing running every week- that is the bonus.  More running and NOT more pain.  It's not healed but it is manageable.  Hoka's for long runs ...trying to get back to Newton's for shorter runs as I like to feel the pavement.  Trails are better than the road.  I wear the night splint and "love" it.  So all in all, cannot complain.
Endurance House Trainer Party 

John has ramped up training with me too.  After Saturdays big brick he assumed today was off.... I did the 1st part of the run and came home for him- he was dressed in winter clothes headed to the coffee shop....all it took "come on you wanna run?"  And he was dressed and out in the pouring rain with Mako and me.  We are eating about 10 meals a day.  It's fun.... He says "whose idea was today?"  love having a coach... Chris I say and off we go.  

Julie at work Sunday 
Thursday I sucked it up in the rain. Saturday I was not sure I could again.... TIna planned a trainer party and a few of my athletes were going so John and I packed up- trainers, bikes, run gear and we headed to the Endurance House for the party.  We set up and it was NOT raining.... good company but intervals on the trainer are so f''ing hard  not my favorite, At 45 min , I borrowed a helmet and hit the road for the rest of the ride..few showers but my Nytro Champion System super vest kept me dry ok not really but it was warm.    We headed out for our 90 min run and then joined the pot luck- that was the bomb..vegan chili, quinoa salad 3 ways (mine with kale of course) other delicious treats. Fun to hang and train with some new peeps!   Sunday - ugh more rain..... I was a sissy and rode the trainer- it was a recovery ride so I was able to write training plans, watch House of Cards and sweat a lot,  Drenched on the run.... but that is okay. 

Tomorrow is Monday....day off and then- I peeked, Will take it one day at a time! 

Power Dinner for Sunday Night 

Winter Weather and Big Training called for comfort food 
Mediterranean Chicken Casserole

1 pound rice penne pasta
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can of organic veggie broth 
1 cup milk (almond) 
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups shredded organic chicken 
1 bag TJ frozen artichoke hearts- thawed and chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 (17 1/2 ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained and sliced
9 ripe olives, pitted and sliced - greek 
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Shaved Parmesan cheese

Prepare noodles. Drain.

Stir broth, milk, salt and cornstarch together in a large saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.

Stir in noodles, chicken, artichoke hearts, wine, red peppers, olives,, cheese, lemon juice and black pepper.

Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon in mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, until 

No comments:

Post a Comment