Sunday, July 31, 2011

sashimi and pure fit bars are not Ironman training fuel


Delicious dinner on Friday with JD and John!  How we consumed $85 so quickly I am not sure...but we got out of the house and a a nice family dinner out. I was thinking healthy food, not long swim and ride fueling, so I ordered seaweed salad and sahimi (skit the rice)  I ate a lot of both and consumed a large Sapporo (carbs in that)


I did make a pancake before the swim.... but after that was fueling with PureFit bars- which are described as "The all-natural, gluten-free and wheat-free, dairy-free, vegan, kosher, high in protein, diabetic-friendly, that tastes great nutrition bar. But no where do you see selling references like "® C2MAX dual source energy blend, a 2:1 glucose to fructose blend found to deliver 20–50% more energy to muscles than glucose alone and improve endurance performance by 8%.* Performance Energy bars contain 200mg sodium — a key electrolyte lost in sweat that is associated with muscle cramping in some athletes."- which Power Bar offers. I had a glove box filled with both bars but I chose the PureFit bars. 

So somewhere long into the ride, near the Wild Animal Park with a Havi like head wind I am bonking badly....I fall off Beth and James's wheel and start the pity party.   Next stop I tell them to go ahead, I am riding the rest of the way really slowly and alone...Beth, God love her, tells me to F'ck off and we are riding togged.  James can go on but we are together.   We make out last fuel stop and I dump all remnants of anything that is sweet and fill one bottle with coke- real coke and ice and the other with ice water.  As we are waiting in line I snag a bag of salty, greasy potato chips and tear into them.  They are in such disrepair the guy cannot even scan them....As I a licking the bag strolling out we run into Trevor who says "bonk much" ?  I give him the finger and am happy about my fueling choices.  Within minutes..... my "wit" is back and I am feeling a million times better!  carbs, salt, caffeine and sugar!  We are rolling baby...... Thanks Beth for being a good friend! 

With ice bags on my legs, a bag of Frito's and a large coke I drove home! Pancakes for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment