Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Korey Stringer Institute Follow up

What I feel like in the heat
I finally got "my results" from my day of hell testing at the Korey Stringer Institute.  Detailed reports, graphs and analysis and a follow-up call with Dr. Robb, his team and my coach.   The call was thorough and here are the takeaways

1: Avoid Hot Races are you f'ing kidding me?  I did this test as prep for Kona
2: If it's hot, you will need to slow down.  
3: that was IT no more options.... after a painful pause I speak up, " Dr. Rob we are going to need more options"

I just paid a lot of money to be told, DON'T go to Kona or if you do be prepared to go really slow... WTF! 

Thankfully the call did not end after the first 7 minutes of "information"   

We took a deep dive to see how f'cked I really am much I really lose.  

Test 1: Substrate Utilization Test:  Bottom line is biking with a giant mask and every 5 min increasing my power by 11 minutes to determine carbohydrate and fat utilization.   People talk about the crossover point when your body goes from burning fat to carbs, well there was NO crossover as in my body burns 100% carbs.  Not that I thought I was fat adapted, as you all know how I feel about Keto and endurance sports, but seriously, I am a carb machine.

Bike Electrolyte Test:  2 hours IM Watts in 90 degrees and 80% humidity.  I lose 60+ oz an hour with 2180mg of sodium.  For reference a large bike bottle is 24oz,  so that is 2.5 bottles an hour and a lot of sodium and potassium.   This is actually 3.4% of my body weight- turns out that is not a sustainable loss.    So you say, drink more and take in more salt!  Well yes, I am dramatically under hydrating but the caveat is that most guts can only handle a max of  40oz an hour - so that leaves me 20oz short x 10-11 hours and well we know what happens... And 2180 mg of sodium an hour is a fast track to GI distress.  

Run Electrolyte Test:  1 hour but had to end early due to core temp.   Same hot and humid conditions and I was now dumping 74 oz an hour and 2660 mg of sodium.  So... I get off the bike in a hole and then sweat more!

Alaskaman here I come!

At least I know I am not crazy, weak, am imagining the issues I have in the heat.  And and... on the run, my core temp hit 103.9 which is when we had to stop, but that is when I start seeing black spots, the headache comes and dizziness-hello Honu!   

So now what...

1- Getting heat acclimated will help!  So I play to go to Kona 3 weeks early and 5 weeks out will plan a 4-day camp in Tucson or the like to kick start the acclimation.  Doing hot yoga etc along the way.
2 - Train the gut to accept more fluids and sodium.  I am trying a few new products to achieve this and will report back later.  
3- Don't be surprised if I run in Kona with a Camelbak,   There is no way I can get in enough fluids on the run drinking out of dixie cups with 3 oz.   I do my long runs with one now and it works!   

When I hung up the phone I wanted to cry, okay dramatic, my thoughts were why even try again?  I have everything working against me, I cannot change genetics,  what will be different this time? 
Goal is NO med tent in 2019! 

I am outfitted with knowledge and have some new plans and I am NOT READY TO GIVE UP!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment