Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ah taper time....

what is a taper...

ta·per

1  [tey-per]  Show IPA
verb (used without object)
1.
to become smaller or thinner toward one end.
2.
to grow gradually lean.
verb (used with object)
3.
to make gradually smaller toward one end.
4.
to reduce gradually.
noun
5.
gradual diminution of width or thickness in an elongated object.
6.
gradual decrease of forcecapacity, etc.
7.
anything having a tapering form, as a spire or obelisk.
8.
a candle, especially a very slender one.
9.
a long wick coated with wax, tallow, or the like, as for use in lightingcandles or gas.

ok so I am going for #6 and hoping #2 (getting to race weight)   Tapering means...no more 5+ hour rides on my calendar,  no more 2+ hour runs, no more days of 4500k swim  + run before 8am and a workday...

It also means the work is done for Ironman.  With 11 days to go to Ironman Cabo the fitness I have now is what I will have for race day.  As a coach it is so easy to see the clarity of tapering..the work is done, time to rest and get fresh and be ready for race day. Less is more and error on the side of conservative versus being tempted to top off the tanks with bonus fitness. 

When it comes to me, rationally I know this, but it gets muddy when it is me....can I top off the fitness  add  a little, test a little NOOOOOO!!   Practice what I coach.  This is why I have a coach and knowing I am coaching others helps me lead by example. It's a cool circle.

So that being said...all is okay except for life.  The difference between pros and amateurs is 1- they are way faster and more talented - but that aside- most pro's have less "life" to deal with.   Thank goodness this is not race week....I have been up past 11pm with family matters, numerous work crises that cause lack of sleep, elevated stress and the rest of my life to back up. So I focus on what I need to.  Prioritize, eat well except when I lost it today and went for the regular mocha at Sbux, followed by dark chocolate acai berries and then fro yo....did I mention this was all before noon and after a proper breakfast of Greek yogurt and trail mix.   I did recover some time late in the day with fresh fruit, sauteed kale + nuts and then a fine dinner of french green beans and bbq chicken.  While I am finishing #10 on the to do list before bed I did gravitate to the dark chocolate pomegranate seeds.  Antioxidants right?  ugh.... deep breath relax...in 7 days I will be in Cabo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment