Thursday, November 3, 2011

Broken toes, dog is doubling in size, kids are someplace...

My life it upside down these days...I have shown up to Riley's game 1 hour early, sent my mom to her game 1 day early, arrived at the wrong location for a game.... what the heck?  This is why women should not have a baby at 45.  Yea, yea, yea.... Mako is a dog and babies are 100% more work...I know been there done that, BUT, going from a 15 and 17yo and Ironman training to a puppy is a major adjustment.  Getting used to interrupted sleep, only being able to leave the house for 60-90 minutes at at time, planning my day when he is asleep vs in aggro playing mode.... Really though he is so much fun!  How can you not fall in love with this puppy!  He sleeps 4 hours at a time at night...so our up and down is less. we still have a futon downstairs, as we figure better for one of us sleep. So we take turns with Mako.  Every other night I get a solid 8  hours and the alternate nights not so much...John is a good co-parent and JD even takes a turn on the weekend!

Training...well not really but I was running pretty regularly to keep Zen from ballooning out due to eating all of Mako's food.  My plan was run every day,  not a lot, not too hard but build fitness.  And the plan was to get strong in the gym.  I avoid the gym but know I need it so in the off season I committed.  It has been a long time...day 1 I was excited, snuck in a 2nd run on the TM and I was off on my routine. I needed the 30lb bar for bicep curls and it was being hoarded, bitch lady at the gym would not share.  So I used the 20 lb bar and that was too easy so I went for the 40lb bar and that was too heavy- I'm feeling a bit like Goldilocks now but being the impatient soul I am I went for the 40lb bar and did my set and it was pretty much to failure.  As I was racking the bar, my arms are shaking and jumping and I SHOULD have put the bar down but I struggled to rack it and did not quite make it.  Bar slammed down, bounced and landed on my foot....

You know the term white lightening....yeah that was pretty much the effect.   That and being sucker punched hard in the stomach.  It was so painful I don't really remember leaving the gym...thankfully I got all my gear and got home.  I arrived home took 4 Advil and opened a beer... JD was here and blankly staring at me.  Delicately pulled off my shoe and watched it swell and turn colors....within a few hours it became apparent I needed a medical opinion. JD dutifully drove me to urgent care and after 2 hours the XRay tech proclaimed nothing broken so we left, no need to wait another 2 hours for the Dr.  Well 7ish am my cell rings and the ER Dr chastises me for leaving without being seen by a Dr and that I do in fact have 2 broken toes- crushed at the tips actually.   She practically orders me to come back and be seen. I politely ask what they will do for my predicament... basically nothing.  Okay so you want me to drive 30 min the UCSD in AM traffic, wait for who knows how long (again) to be told I have 2 broken toes for which you can do nothing?  Right...on my way.  Not so much.  So now I am thankful it is only my toes and the tips... so they will heal fast (hopefully).  No running as it seems one really needs the toes to push off, although I could become a major heel stryker and see how that works out?..... for now, no running.  After 1 week I am able to ride!!! Good news....hitting the road with my girlies this weekend.  I supose I can swim and just use 1 foot on flip turns- but no sense if messing up my groove..okay really another excuse NOT to swim!

So there you have it.....when people ask me why I was a swimmer?   This is not the first of my ever so stupid accidents.... 1 year ago to date http://jdunkle.blogspot.com/2010/11/beware-in-kitchen.html was this incident, the year prior I broke my pinkie playing with the dog http://jdunkle.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html  and so there you have it.  End of October is bad timing for me and accidents...I can even go back to pre-triatlon days and I was training for the NY Marathon and broke my pinkie last weekend in October while playing at the park with my husband...okay well a friendly competition in who could do the log roll the longest-  I fell rolled over my pinky and snap....  So there you have it..... I am not coordinated and the fall is when I am at my worst.  Lucky for me that is the off season...

No comments:

Post a Comment