Monday, June 5, 2017

Ironman Taper

If training is going well as in you are crushing workouts and barely surviving taper is all you can think about.  A few weeks before it's taper time do you find yourself counting how many hard workout are left, the last long ride, last long run etc.  And then you finally put the nail in the coffin finish the last big week and it's taper time!
You are elated for about a day and then begin to wonder if you have done enough, too much, wished you had nailed that 5th interval on the trainer ride last Wednesday  and more.... The volume has dropped off but your appetite has not, the grey area of not depleting your glycogen stores but also not packing on 8lbs in the final week so the new Castelli very tight aero top will not zip up.

Waiting for the spring in your step but your legs are actually getting heavier each day, you wake up with what feels like a hamstring strain from sleeping, all the phantom niggles and aches are running abound and you still want to sleep 9+ hours a day.

The short workouts you expect to be crushing but the watts are not coming and the garmin must be broken?  Let's not even start with the mood swings.  Sorry honey.

How many days to Ironman Boulder?

What is so funny is that I coach my athletes through this all the time with great clarity, reflection and good feedback as to why this is happening. "Perfectly normal, if you were feeling great now we would have messed up your taper, your body is adjusting, yes you should feel that way, trust me, trust the process"

As me the athlete you should see my training peaks panicked comments.  The what is wrong with me question to my coach, I will not be ready, I suck, when can I start carb loading for the race,...

T-6 days to Ironman Boulder!  

No comments:

Post a Comment