- First your job must be somewhat flexible in the hours you need to be accessible, on the phone, present
- You must be willing to work at 4am and 11pm (if you are riding your bike for 3-5 hours in the middle of the day) you have to "pay the piper" There is still work to be done, so making the time is critical. Having a spouse that understands you will work many evenings is really helpful. As is not owning a TV.
- iPhone is mandatory, maybe a droid will work, but I know an iPhone definitely works
- set special ring tones for urgent calls - this way I never miss an important call and don't get off my bike for a solicitation call. This changes for me, depending on the project or who I need to speak with. So I am constantly changing based on the day or the project.
- VIP email. Again I make the key people VIP so when I check my phone and see 81 emails I don't need to scroll through them all, I just look at VIP and reply as needed
- Siri read my email ( thank you Jen) this is new to me - but yesterday I put in headphone and asked Siri to please read emails and away she went.
- Flexibility - sometimes a workout has to move if an urgent call comes up
- Apps- I have office and adobe on my phone to review docs if necessary
- Laptop in the car if out for a while, in case I need to edit, review or do more than the iPhone can handle. Either pop in a Sbux or use my personal hot spot to log on and go.
In some ways I am working all the time but with really generous breaks! I don't mind working weekends or nights to have the schedule I do.
|Flexible schedules also allow for more travel!|
When people say I am "lucky" to have such flexible hours - I say yes, but luck was small part of it. I left the corporate world 9 years ago to become a contract employee and build my own business with HPN Global. I prospected, lived on a limited budge, dug and built a business on my own time. And 4 years ago I started coaching. So both my businesses are self created and self owned. I wanted a flexible lifestyle and with that benefits are huge!
You are in control of how you live your life!!